Sunday, June 29, 2008


We're back in Oriental - it was windy and stormy all day. We set out from Belhaven early (7:30ish) and had to motor most of the way due to the winds being pretty much the opposite of the direction we wanted to go. We heard a call for the Coast Guard to rescue a sailboat - don't know how large, but they said that two people were in the water. We didn't see any submerged craft, so hopefully they were safely rescued and also, their vessel....this is the Coast Guard "fast boat" - Keith and Denise are probably familiar...


I hope everyone ended up safe....

More birdie photos on the way back today - this one is a brown pelican, I think....we saw the "family" of birds from the previous post on the way back also....I'm beginning to believe they are bald eagles....



I also love to look at the "working" boats...here are shrimp boats at home for the day on the intercoastal waterway....


This is coming back into our home port in Oriental....those of you that have sailed with us know this corner....there is a sandbar - seen here....this means that the water is LOW!!! Most days, you can see this sandbar thru about 2' of brackish water....we made it into the marina fine.
This is neat - every time we come into our marina, we pass a family fishing outfit - Endurance Fishing. I think I've mentioned getting fresh shrimp and fish from them before. They have two little boys that we see along the docks - tan - running around together - throwing minnow nets, fishing. Just two brothers having a good time. I've never even asked their names, although I've spoken to them several times. They remind me of Robert and Richard MANY years ago....

Today, as we motored into the marina, they were hurriedly running over to their dad's fishing boat - they (nicely) yelled to us "we're going to throw water balloons at you" - so Duane and I both eagerly encouraged them to "try to hit us" (it was hot!) - they were ecstatic - giggling, they threw their "arsenal" of 3 water balloons. The balloons hit the deck harmlessly....
Sounds strange to say, but I hope my GRANDKIDS get to grow up like this!

2 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

FUN - cute little boys - I'm sorry they didn't hit their target - it would have been more fun for them and for you!

Elizabeth said...

Looks like you had a good time. Hope you got some fresh seafood this time, too. Are you in your new slip yet? E