Wednesday, December 03, 2014

Cluck-less vegan "chicken" cutlets

I forgot to post this at Thanksgiving.....my sis helped me find the recipe so Miranda could have something "faux-meaty" instead of turkey. 

I made them the week before and froze - one less thing to do on the big day!  Very easy, by the way!

Gathered the ingredients...


Made the stiff dough..



After the 1 hour "rest", shaped into individual servings.  I just made flat patties.  The recipe actually showed them shaped into "breasts".


Baked at 250 degrees until golden.  Cooled and put in the freezer.  As you know, I failed miserably at taking Thanksgiving day photos......but all I did was take a portion out of the freezer - glazed it with BBQ sauce, wrapped it in foil and baked until warm.  Very yummy and Miranda took home the leftovers!



Recipe in case you're interested:

Chicken Breasts, Hold the Cluck!

In a blender, add:

6 oz silken firm tofu
¾ cup cold water
2 Tbsp Nayonnaise
2 tsp olive oil
3 Tbsp nutritional yeast
2 ½ Tbsp vegan chicken bouillon
1 tsp garlic powder
1 tsp onion powder
½ tsp poultry seasoning
1 tsp salt

~Blend well~

In a large bowl, add:
½ cup soy flour
1 ¼ cup gluten flour
1 tsp Mrs Dash Extra-Spicy (or ½ tsp black pepper)

Pour the blended mixture into the dry ingredients. Mix well, and then knead briefly into a ball. Cover and let sit for one hour.

 Then, dust countertop with a bit more gluten flour. Knead for a minute until the dough is smooth. Divide dough into chicken-breast sized pieces. Shape however you like.


Coat some non-stick foil with PAM and heat oven to 250 degrees. Wrap your “breasts” in foil and bake one and a half to two hours. (The lesser time will make the breasts more tender, say for putting on the BBQ, the longer time is better if the breasts will be soaking or marinating for a while in a sauce.)

Cool on a wire rack. I prefer to take these out the day I'm grilling them and let them marinate in something wet and tasty for a considerable amount of time. The baking creates a seal that prevents them from soaking up too much liquid and getting spongy, but a little moisture goes a long way

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

Awesome! I knew she'd like them!

Love,

T

Unknown said...

So tasty! I absolutely loved them and was very surprised I got to have my own tasty entree on Thanksgiving! I put the remaining ones on salads and sandwiches for lunches at work!