Monday, February 09, 2015

Another Appliance Bites the Dust


Our house is 20 yrs old now....and we've replaced the washer/dryer, my cooktop, the dishwasher, the microwave and now it's the wall oven's turn......



It had failed the first time back in the fall when I had pressed "clean"....Apparently the high temps used to do the auto-clean had burned up something in the oven.

I figured it was time to get a new oven, but after searching a bit, I found that  a replacement was over $1000!  Strange that you can buy a full stove for under $500, but try to find a small wall oven and they charge crazy prices!

So, I called my local repair guy - they said you can't buy parts anymore.....but Duane then troubleshot it and determined it was a sensor for the broiler.  So, I decided that I could do without a broiler since it's not something I use much anyway.

So, fast forward to Thanksgiving....I had everything ready to start cooking and the oven quit for good!!  I luckily have the convection/microwave oven - so I ended up getting everything cooked just fine.

With all the hub-bub around the holidays, I just cooked everything in my convection oven.  About a month  ago I was in Home Depot and just happen to see a oven up on an rack at the back of the store.  I couldn't believe it - a 24" wall oven!!  On clearance!!!  How lucky was that?  I got the sales person to get the oven down and was starting the process to pay for it.  Then I noticed that the door was "crooked".  Bummer....so I told the salesperson I couldn't take it.

Fast forward to this weekend.....I was in Home Depot again - and peeked back to see if the oven was still there - and it was!  And the price was $199!!!  Apparently, they wanted it gone!

So, Duane and I went back together so that he could look at it and see if it was repairable.  He looked it over and determined that the frame was a little bent and that he could fix it!  My hero! 

It had to be disassembled, of course.  But a little bending and beating....and it was good and straight!




Old one out!!



New one coming in!



New oven ready to be installed.



 But, of course, nothing's easy.  Even though they are both 24" wall ovens, the original one was wider and shorter by about 1".   You can see the area to the left that should not be visible!




So, Duane modified the cabinet and made these aluminum pieces to "fill in" the extra space.


 And there we have it!  A low-cost, fully functional oven!






2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

And very handy that you have a "retired" guy around to help. MOM

affectioknit said...

What an awesome and frugal new oven...I love it!

Love,

T