Friday, September 05, 2008

Oscar Fish and waiting on Tropical Storm Hanna

We're just waiting on the Tropical storm to blow thru - the dockmaster in Oriental is supposed to be stripping all the canvas from the boat, so we're not worried.

I haven't posted about Richard's fish lately....he got these fish in the spring before he graduated high school....and since they are in a 40 gallon tank, he can't take them to school with him. So, he said I could keep them. Thanks, Rico!!

Here's Oscar - the Oscar-fish. He's about 6 inches long and could grow to about 18 inches!!! There is another, different Oscar (yet un-named) in the background. They actually are really cool fish - they come to the glass to see you and appear to actually watch you. Unfortunately for us, the 40 gallon tank is NOWHERE NEAR big enough for all the fish Richard put into it!!



According to the websites I'm researching, you need 75 gallons for EACH Oscar!!! Plus, they are "dirty" fish - so you have to do 50% water changes every week. I'm not sure how this will play out.....I may have to find someone to "adopt" the Oscars....

Here are some of the other fish - they are growing fast also! I don't know what they are exactly - I think the large ones are Silver Dollar fish.



The yellow and blue ones are the size of really large goldfish.

So far we haven't killed any of Rich's original fish (well, I guess we "killed" the third Oscar - he apparently jumped out of the top of the tank - they are known to do that....I found him all petrified on the floor when I was cleaning out Richard's room the other day....)

1 comment:

affectioknit2 said...

Eeeuuww - a yucky dead fish - the Man-Cub loves Richard's aquarium - we're not getting any Oscars 'though. We just spent an entire Saturday morning switching the fish and the crabs - I need to post about it - but I don't think I took enough pictures to properly document - it took about 3 hours - arghhh! It looks like you're doing a good job with the Oscars!
Love,

T