Saturday, January 02, 2010

Greeting from San Francisco!

We are all settled now in San Francisco....a big change from our normal existence!!

I can see why people love this city - but I'm happy just to be a visitor...

Here's where we are staying - in the "purple" apartment. Neat, old "victorian" structure. Kitchen and baths are nice and modern.



There's a beautiful garden out back - our living room door opens onto the deck and garden.
Plenty of room for everyone and sooooo much better than motel rooms. I stole these photos from the rental website, but they are identical to how the unit actually looks.



Today we ventured out south on the Pacific Coast Highway....



Beautiful views of the ocean and cliffs.




We found a secluded beach with and wandered down 4 or 5 hundred feet to sea level....you know I've been saying that one of the things I wanted to do on this trip was "stick my toe in the Pacific ocean".....and I got to do that today.

The waves were much bigger than our N.C. waves, so I decided I might better take off my shoes and socks for this experience. Good thing I did....



I am here to witness to you that the Pacific Ocean is COOOOLLLLD!!



My feet were aching after just a few moments. Good fun though


Miranda took this photo of us....now, how old are my boys??? 8 & 9 maybe?






There was a "teeter-totter" laying on the beach from some previous visitor.



I've included this photo for Sharon - we saw this aloe-like plant in several places we stopped. A few of them had these lovely flowers. They appeared to be growing like weeds.


On farther south we spied a lighthouse and a pretty view. Waves crashing on the rocks below.



A view from the van....oh the joy of getting dragged along on vacation with the folks....




We made it all the way to Monterey - we dropped Richard and Miranda off at the Monterey Acquarium and proceeded to the 17 Mile Drive. It's supposed to be the most scenic drive around with "breathtaking" views. Unfortunately, it was 4:30 when we got to the entrance and we were informed that it was closed for the evening. Oh well, we'll just have that on our to-do list for next time!!

Instead, we watched the beautiful sunset.


2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

It's so nice to see your great condo and the beautiful ocean views. Funny that the "bucket list" item was so cold. I know you are having a lot of fun. MOM

affectioknit said...

That really does sound like a lot of fun!