Friday, July 18, 2014

Nova Scotia Day 5

A long drive awaits today - we drove off of the mainland Nova Scotia to Cape Breton Island.  Destination, a town named Baddeck.

A stop along the way was at a small Scottish heritage museum.....it wasn't much, but I did spy this beautiful old spinning wheel.



Just thought I'd mention these chips.....the dill flavor apparently is a local favorite since the snack aisle would have 6 or 7 different choices of that flavor!  I decided I would have to try it.   Not bad, but I don't think I'd want it too often!




The main event for the day was to visit the Alexander Graham Bell museum just outside Baddeck.  Beautiful grounds.    He "retired" to the area - but continued all sorts of scientific experiments.


Really, I had no idea how famous he was in that era!    He and his wife were also involved in aircraft experimentation - this is the "Silver Dart" - circa  1909.  He and his team were experimenting with powered flight in the late 1800's  just like the Wrights!  The submarine looking thing in the background is a hydrofoil that was built by the Bell's for the US Navy.



Since it was a long drive, that's all we squeezed in for today!   Another nice B&B.....


1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Don't know if you knew Rafe's family is related to the Bells...I'll have to get the old family tree out and tell you who and when though...looks like a fun museum tour...

Love,

T