Thursday, October 22, 2009

Chevettes

Now, a few young people who read this blog (Miranda, maybe Richard or Robert, Bridget- do you drop in?????) probably haven't even heard of a Chevette........


I spied a Chevy Chevette on the road today!!! It's been a looong time since I've seen one.

A few Chevette facts:

The Chevette replaced the Vega as Chevy's subcompact in 1974

The Chevette was the last rear-wheel drive subcompact for the U.S.

In 1987, Chevette's final year, a version was offered at US $4,995

Now here's a factiod - The Chevette was the best-selling small car in America for the 1979 and 1980 model years.



There were a couple of Chevy Sub-compact's in my family history - let's see....

We had a Beige Vega when I was a freshman in high school - I don't think that was our actual "family car" at that point - but I know Teresa drove me to school in it some....

Then we got a white Vega with "orange" stripes....I think that was the one Daddy converted from a manual to a stick-shift, or was it the other way around....my memory is vague. I'm sure Mom or Teresa can help out here.

Then Sharon got a Blue Chevette - and took it to NC State. I recall a couple of 'vapor 'lock issues. Back in the day of no-cell-phones, she had to be rescued a few times. Things were certainly different back then! (I don't have a photo - but that's why I perked up when I saw the one on my way home today - looks similar)

Then Teresa got a bright red one. She had it when she lived in Durham, she had it when she lived in Apex, she had it when she lived in Jacksonville, FL, she had it when she lived in Balsam Grove.....she had that little car for a LONG time!! I remember it being stuffed with books and papers....what was it's nickname!????


I couldn't resist - I remembered this photo from long, long ago. Camping at Jordan Lake when you could just pull off onto the old roads and camp. Circa 1983.

Sexy legs, Rafe!


Somewhere in there, Duane and I acquired a gold Chevette from an IBM friend when we lived at New Hill. The engine was blown and I think he just gave us the car and title. Duane got a used engine and got the car running.

That was just a project- I think we sold it - I don't remember even driving it much.

Funny how things like that just fade from memory....and it just dawned on me that my new little Saturn is sortof a "next generation Chevy Sub-compact"....so the trend continues!

5 comments:

Elizabeth said...

What a memory !! You've got it pretty straight as far as I can remember. I believe a manual is the same as a stick shift. The alternative is an automatic and I know there was a change (which I doubted could ever work but it did) and I don't remember which way it went either. Vaguely think it went from auto to manual. Teresa, you remember, I'm sure. MOM

Karen said...

yeah, i meant auto to manual...

affectioknit said...

Hey - the tan Vega was Eddies - and only cost about $2500. Daddy got me the white one - it was my first car and he definitely did change it from Auto to Manual with the transmission that was in the old yellow junk Vega that Daddy had gotten because a horse jumped out of the back of a truck and totaled it. The funny thing about that switch was that it would get STUCK in first gear and there was a little switch or something under neath that you had to flip - but it involved crawling up under the car - I'm sure Rafe could still do it. Daddy finally fixed even taht problem. I took that Vega to college with me - it also had a problem with a gasket or something and coolant fluid would drain into the engine compartment and make this white cloud of smoke - it was actually hilarious - one time Eddie and Rafe took it to the grocery store and it did that - and people were yelling at them to GET AWAY before it blew up - so so funny!!! We bought our red Chevette in 1983 - our first NEW car and it cost about $5000. I did love that little car so much - her name was NELLIE - and we kept her for 12 years and finally donated her to the Kidney Foundation...

Love,

T

Miranda said...

It's amazing how that model of car was so prominently in your life! What interesting stories about it too!

The picture you took of the Chevette looks kind of like my Shadow... Well, I guess it looks cooler than my car!

Sharon said...

The blue Chevette brings back many memories. I remember arriving at NC State for the first time. There was a traffic jam on Dan Allen Drive. As I sat in traffic, the car died...may have been its first vapor lock. Before I could find help, the car was towed away. Of course, that was just the beginning of many breakdowns. I was fortunate that Duane & Karen were always willing to come to my rescue. The Chevette got me through college and we even found someone willing to buy it. My brother in law reported that the new owner drove the car for awhile.