Friday, June 11, 2010

No-till Garden

We're in the summer doldrums!! And we're not technically in "summer" yet!

Not a lot going on....just grass and garden growing!

I've put my little "no-till" garden in again. I'm just growing the things I hate to buy - squash, cucumbers and tomatoes!! Squash and cuc's because they are so easy to grow and I hate to pay the grocery store price.....and tomatoes - you know why!! Because homegrown is 10000000% better!!!!!

Toatl cost - about 1 dollar from the 5/$1.00 rack at the local dollar store.

I dug a hole for each plant and buried them several weeks ago (before the St. Martin trip). Luckily - we had nice rain while we were gone, so all is well.

Now, I just use the weed-eater and lawnmower to trim around the plants.



Yum - first cucumbers will be ready tomorrow!!! You'll have to forgive the Carolina Blue "croc" knock-offs. They are sooooo comfy - $3 on clearance last year.......too bad they didn't have State Red!!



Zucchini squash - yes, tomorrow will be a good start!



See the yellow squash hiding in there?? It's covered in "spray" left from the weed eater this morning. Hey, it's not pretty , but it's a lot better than hoeing or weeding I think!!



And here is the prize jewel....the grape tomato vine. I'm reallllly looking forward to those.....candy on a vine!!!

2 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Your plants look nice and healthy, so no-till gardening must work good there. I'm afraid here the grass would just take over. MOM

affectioknit said...

That's amazing - I hope my little garden does as well! Looking forward to that cuke...

Love,

T