Tuesday, February 22, 2011

Meals on Wheels

I subscribe to the local "chatlist" - which is just an online community bulletin board. A few weeks ago, there was a request from the local Council on Aging for help delivering Meals on Wheels.

I called to inquire - found that it doesn't take very much time and is a real need in the community. So, I went to the training and now I'm a certified delivery person on Wednesdays - route 3 in Siler City!!

It's really a nice, relaxing way to spent just about 30 minutes!

I go to the Council office -



Sign in and pick up two bags that the kitchen has already prepared - the red one has the hot part of the meal and the blue one has the chilled part. (How original!)


I get my list (5 people so far) for the day and head out on my route.

I knock on the door and am greeted by a friendly senior citizen each time. We chat just a bit, making sure they are doing well, then it's off to the next delivery. A lot of good for just 30 minutes a week!


2 comments:

affectioknit said...

So very SWEET of you! We don't have MOW here - there is a senior center and they do provide hot meals but someone has to bring the person to the center...or I think there's a mini van that will pick them up as well...you know SCANA allows their employees to leave work to participate in MOW...

Have fun!

Love,

T

Joyce Mineer said...

You rock girlfriend!! Love your big heart - to go along with your big smile!!!

Looking forward to seeing you next week!

Hugs - Joyce