Monday, August 15, 2011

Tee Shirt Hemming Trick

Some of you may have noticed that I like to trim off the bottom of my tee-shirts. I'm just more comfy with them loose and not tucked-in.

I've been using a "blind hem stitch" on my machine for this - but it sometimes puckers the fabric. To remedy this, I thought maybe the needle was dull, so I decided to replace it. I got down my little box of sewing "stuff" that came with my very basic sewing machine 20 years ago. While searching for a new needle, I found a weird DOUBLE NEEDLE. It is an amazing thing!! So simple, so easy, made me so happy!!




You thread the needles just like you would one needle - just using two spools of thread. Both threads go thru the tension wheel together.





This is the result - a very even, smooth hem!!



Here I've pulled the hem aside so you can see both the top and the "wrong" side. I'm a happy camper - see, it doesn't take much to make me happy!




3 comments:

Just Marianne said...

Dang, I bet my old sewing machine has that too. It is probably 25 yrs old! maybe I'll look in my lil box! Good job, girl.

affectioknit said...

That is AWESOME!

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

Don't quite understand how that works, I don't think my machine ever had one like that but the results are fantastic. That color is you and the thread is a perfect match. MOM