Thursday, September 17, 2009

Garbanzo Bean Flour Tortillas...almost

OK, so I'm really hard up for bread - anything resembling bread.....

We have been following the Eat to Live diet for quite some time now - basically - no meat, no fat, no dairy, no starch. I'm very happy with the results - lost some weight and virtually no hunger. There's always a trade-off, though, isn't there.....

I miss the bread and noodles. (I cheat, mostly on vacations....doesn't seem to hurt too much!)


I've recently found a cool substitute - garbanzo bean flour.....this would be great for people who need to eat gluten-free also.


Tonight I tried to make some tortillas - with decent results....just made a thick paste of the bean flour, water and a little salt.


Made a ball out of a couple of tablespoons full of dough.


Rolled it flat - dusting with more of the bean flour to keep it from sticking to the rolling pin.


It stuck a little to the thick plastic I was using - I used a knife to dislodge it. I think I could have used just a bit more of the bean flour on the bottom and this would have been un-necessary.


Ready to fry in a dry non-stick skillet.


All done in just a few minutes. Thicker than I'd like - I'll have to work on that.


Next I needed to make a filling -

I opted for a taco-filling made with T.V.P. (textured vegetable protein) - here it is dry.


Just cooked up a sauce with the TVP, canned tomatoes and a bunch of spices (chili, garlic, onion powder, cumin and paprika).


I spooned on some store-bought fat-free refried beans...


Added the chili-


Topped with lettuce -



And salsa....


At this point, I already knew that the tortillas were too thick and hard to roll up....I think because there was no oil. I had decided I would slice the "sandwich" and eat it like a quesadilla ....


Oops....it all smushed apart....don't tell me you saw that coming!!!


I ate that mess - and it was quite good (if not pretty...)


For Duane's serving - I decided more of a "taco salad" approach might be more appealing.....

I broke the "tortilla's" apart over a bed of lettuce.


And spooned the taco filling and salsa over the top. Very tasty and nothing but beans and other fat-free vegetable matter!

3 comments:

affectioknit said...

Very Nice and yummy looking!

Sharon said...

I wonder if I could talk Buddy into trying the tortillas?

Karen said...

hey s, yes, they were pretty good - especially more as a addition to the salad like i served to duane. next time i will probably add some vital wheat gluten - i read that it keeps things flexible.