Monday, October 10, 2016

"Old Attic Entrance" ceiling repair



Remember I said that we used to access the attic thru a simple hole in the ceiling of the master bedroom closet? 

We haven't done much sheetrock work lately - but we found an old piece (leftover from the main bath renovation several years ago, I suspect).  Screwed that up to fill the hole permanently.



Taped and mudded it.




The next day, after the taped area was dry, I did a "skim coat" over the entire surface....getting ready to try to apply some "texture" to make it match the original ceiling texture.



My tool was high-tech!!!  A grocery bag wadded up in my fist!






I dipped the grocery bag in the wet spackling and proceeded to touch the wet skim-coat over and over until I had a good imitation of the surrounding ceiling.




And this probably doesn't look much different...but it's complete with all new ceiling paint.   Since it's just the ceiling in a closet, I think the pattern is close enough!


3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

That's a good match. I redid the ceiling in a rental with a "real" spackling tool. Just a round brush that you spatter it with. Mine needed a repetitive round pattern but turned out good too.

Karen said...

well, mine really should have had that repetitive round pattern too....but this worked well enough! next time i'll borrow your tool! :-)

affectioknit said...

You did a great job...no one will know it was ever there...

Love,

T