Tuesday, May 15, 2007

So I just bummed around today - taking in more sights and getting a little more used to the subway system. Here is the subway near our hotel - a very nice neat station. Note how empty it is here:
This is maybe 2 minutes later. Amazing how fast the cycles are.
This is a station further away from the "business district". They get a little more "tired" looking.
But inside, they're all quite nice. Everyone is quiet - sleeping or just standing. No one hardly ever speaks at all. Usually just a child talking to a parent.
Here is a scene outside of a subway station. Everyone rides their bike to the station. It's a bunch of bikes - this is just 1/2 of the bikes at this station.




I was brave again today for lunch! This nice young lady cooked me some lo mein while I watched. The bottles on the counter were filled with various stuff she squirted into the wok. I assume soy sauce, oil, maybe some vinegar. Hey, what the heck - the wok was very hot, right?

She had a stainless container (visible beside the wok) that had some sort of chile spice liquid. She motioned "do you want some" to which, of course, I nodded "affirmative". You can see the bits of spice in this photo - wow. It wasn't really hot to your tounge, but if you breathed in while chewing, watch out! Actually pretty good - 4RMB, so about 50 cents!
Walking back from picking up my lunch, I spied these kids on the sidewalk.
Kids are the same everywhere. These were apparently from the same school - having a blast walking somewhere.
I walked into the room and found roses on the counter from the hotel staff. Very nice touch. For my birthday - they must have recorded the info from my passport.
It's our anniversary night - 25 years.....we're heading out to a restaurant that one of Duane's Chinese executives suggested. I'll be sure to report!!

1 comment:

affectioknit2 said...

Happy Anniversary - It's the 15th here...

Love,

T