Thursday, March 12, 2009

Whirlwind day yesterday!

I took a photo of my dashboard - can you read the time? It says 5:33 and that's AM!! I am usually blissfully unaware of the lower single-digit hours of the morning!


Yes, I'm going to bore you with boat stories again.......

The marina called Tuesday afternoon and said that they were about finished with the bottom painting and would be putting the boat back in the water soon to free-up space on their yard. I have been wanting to paint the "boot stripe" for a while now. It's the purely decorative blue stripe above the water line on the boat. It has gotten faded and discolored and I want it to be pretty! The marina gave a quote of $850 - I'm sure they were going to mask the boat and spray a fine paint. Well, nobody wanted to spend that much money and I was convinced I could do it pretty much for the cost of the paint ($30 at West Marine for a special marine grade paint).

Here she is ready for me to "attack". I toted ladders, sanders, extension cords, supplies, etc, etc, from home to make sure I would have everything I needed.


First I had to have breakfast - I brought my bran cereal to mix with some yogurt....and coffee. Had to have lots of energy!

Here's a "before" shot - see the discoloration?


So I got to work - I sanded the entire stripe....40 feet long - I was tired of it by the time I did one side - and I had 40 more feet to go!!!


Ahhh, nicely sanded - now the real work began!


I had to carefully tape the edges. Definitely not rocket science!!


Carefully rolled on the paint with a foam roller.

Here I've already started to take some of the tape off. What looks like an imperfection is actually the reflection of a ladder in the shiny new paint!!



All done! I'm pretty pleased with it - note that the new paint matches the color of all the canvas on the boat (sail-cover and bimini).

It took me about 6 hours start-to-finish. I was one tired puppy - and I had to drive 3 1/2 hours back home!


5 comments:

~ Denise ~ said...

But you saved $850! Nice job! It looks fantastic! And, the pics of breakfast and your love for coffee made me feel like I was right there with ya! lol ;)

Joyce Mineer said...

Awesome job!! But I must "call you out" my new blog buddy! Turn that radio station dial to 103.1!!! Sorry but I've got to give props to my employer! And where is your boat docked that you have to drive 3 1/2 hours to get to it? Do you get to spend much time on your boat? Oh, Glory Days!

Elizabeth said...

You did a great job, looks so nice. Maybe we can join you again some time this year. E

affectioknit said...

It's beeee-u-ti-full!!!

Love,


T

Joyce Mineer said...

Amen to that Karen!

Those pesky MP3 players...they are the bane of "live radio's" existence! Ha!

Hmm...not sure why you can't pick us up around the house/Siler City/P'boro. We do get lost going down 15-501 right around Cole Park. And metal buildings are our friends either! BUT, we just started streaming on our website Monday! Yeah! Give that a try if the radio at home/office doesn't work - you can listen to us live.