Saturday, September 17, 2011

Beef allergy finally explained!!

An article in our local paper was about a lady with a beef allergy. Turns out, after all these years that I have been dealing with this "mystery allergy", they've discovered that it's TICKS that are causing it! My symptoms exactly! The article also states that it's any "mammalian" meat, which I suspected. Since chicken and fish are not mammals, that explains why I can eat them with no problems. Interesting... I get about 200 little tick bites a year, so I'm probably re-infecting myself.

http://allergicliving.com/index.php/2010/07/02/food-allergy-beef-emerges-as-issue/



4 comments:

Just Marianne said...

That is so interesting! I remember us talking about it the night we all ate at Red Robin and then saw The Help! You are so special!

Miranda said...

"Fortunately, the phenomenon seems to be geographically limited to regions such as Virginia, North Carolina, Tennessee, Arkansas and the southern half of Missouri where a certain type of tick is found..."

Fortunately for whom?!?

Anyway, yes very informative and a strange set of circumstances... Tick bite causes allergic reaction to meat... I wonder if it's really all mammals - you should try kangaroo or something! ;)

Karen said...

really, miranda, kangaroo? the whole animal kingdom and you come up with kangaroo? i guess it's as good as any....plus, i hear they're mean...so we should eat them!

affectioknit said...

Shame on you...wanting to eat the sweet little roos...

Sounds like you need to move up here...HA!

Love,

T