Friday, February 27, 2009

Mini-adventure last night

Since the recent lay-offs at IBM lately, Duane has been swamped with work (having to pick up the slack of the departing engineers....) I phoned him at about 7:30 last night to find out when he was going to be able to break away. The response was that it might be pretty late, that he was preparing for a big meeting Friday that would be (hopefully) the end to most of the recent rush.

He has about 45 minutes of commute from RTP - so it has been working out to the following lately - drive home at 9pm - eat dinner - sleep until 6am-ish - drive back to work. Not very pleasant!

So, I offered to find us a cheap hotel for the night! He said, "sure, you sound like you're up for an adventure tonight!" I went on Priceline.com - just for kicks did the 4 star hotel - offered 50 bucks. That didn't fly, but they have a new process that immediately offers the same hotel to you for a slightly higher fee. Seems like a little bit of a scam, but I ended up with the room for sixty bucks. Seemed like a good idea at the time!!


So I quickly gathered his work-clothes for Friday, a change of clothes for me, our ever-ready boat-bag full of toiletries, and the dinner that I already had waiting. Off I went to RTP!




And on to the hotel - I had been here before back in my IBM days (15 yrs ago!) to pick up visiting vendors, but have never stayed here.


It was a nice comfortable room - don't think I would give it 4 stars, though!


I had made rice/tofu/chicken/veggies for dinner. I just took out some of the catering boxes that I scavenge from some of our corporate flights and made it seem like a "catered" meal. Duane got to the room about 10pm (a 5 minute drive from his office.)

I think he enjoyed the prospect this morning of a quick 5 minute scoot back to the office.....and I'll do my normal Friday grocery shopping/chores on my way back to Pittsboro!!

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

Oh what fun!!!

Love,

T

Joyce Mineer said...

Awe...an impromptu date night!

Elizabeth said...

Nice idea. Really was an 'adventure'. E

~ Denise ~ said...

Way to take the "ick" out of working long nights and pamper your hubby. Way sweet of you, Karen! ;)

Karen said...

yup, he's a lucky guy!! hehehe