Monday, August 13, 2007

Boy, I'm getting slack about posting - tomorrow is move-in day for Robert at NC State! Some mom's may be upset by this, but I'm happy that he's moving forward in his adult life! (Plus I'm stealing his room to set up as an office!!)




Because I always have the camera, I rarely have my picture taken. Someone at the airport snapped this photo the other day....me with my right-hand lady, Bobbi.




The past few days, I have been given a tremendous amount of produce!! (Like I've said before, I have some wonderful neighbors!) It was getting to the point of overwhelming my refrigerator. I was not using it fast enough, so I decided to take it all out and do something with each item.

Here are some hot banana peppers - I had learned from experience that I didn't want to get the juice under my fingernails - so on went the latex gloves!



I just made a solution of vinegar and garlic with a small amount of sugar....pickles for some pinto beans later this year!! I've done this before, the heat must take some of the "heat" away - they will be just pleasantly spicey now.








Too many tomatoes also - these just got simmered...


And prepped for freezing. They'll be wonderful additions to spaghetti sauce! Anyone recognize the tupperware? Mom gave me those out of her "tupperware cabinet" about 20 years ago. Still work wonderfully! (It's helpful that they never are used in the microwave!)







Too many bell peppers also - I love them raw but just couldn't eat them all before they withered....so I just chopped them up and put them in the freezer. Since they freeze nicely, I can use just a few spoonfuls at a time.




More okra also - stuffed the jars and added a hot pepper or two.... some hot vinegar and spices - and that's all there is to pickled okra!

Couldn't resist this photo - and I'll quit the veggie post - Mom had given me some beets a couple of weeks ago that I had never gotten around to using...I took advantage of the latex gloves to peel them. I always get my fingernails stained by the red juice. Kept 'em clean this time!! Later!




2 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

MMMMM! Okra - I'm so jealous - we picked our first ripe tomato from our garden - it's already getting so cool at night that I'm afraid the first frost is not far off.

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

You sure did a lot of work on those veggies. Your fridge must be empty, probably glad. My pickles turned out great, will post blog. E