Thursday, October 25, 2007

I've finally got something semi-interesting to post! (Mostly about food...)

Mom and Frank were visiting last night. She brought me a "starter" for some Amish Friendship Bread. It was given to Mom by Denise along with a recipe - you know the drill - "knead" it for a few days, then "feed" it, the "knead" it again for a few days, then separate it out for "gifts" and bake the bread. Fun & REALLY good bread. Mom put nuts and raisins in hers and it was scrumptious! Should be fun to give some to the neighbors here.

Here you see the bag of "goo", the instructions, and one of the loaves Mom made with her first batch. She kept a batch of "starter" for herself so she can make some more.




We had gone to the grocery store to pick up a few items for dinner - and they had pomegranates! I had to get one - I don't often, but they are kindof fun every once in a while.

I snapped a few photos as we were "playing with our pomegranate"

I sliced it and set it in water to soften the husk,

This is about half of the seeds removed - I crushed these thru the colander to remove the juice,
A small amount of juice - for a sauce. The remaining seeds I used in a "salsa"
Just some fresh veggies
Added sugar, ginger, salt, pepper, lemon seasoning,

Here is the finished salsa - the pomegranate seeds cooked to tender, it was really good served over the salmon.

Speaking of the salmon - Here it is before cooking - I just poured over the sauce that I had made using the pomegranate juice, lemon juice, sugar and some spices.
It was a yummy meal!

1 comment:

affectioknit2 said...

I bet that sauce would be good over tofu with the salsa too - we love pomegranates. I've made a vegan version of the bread too - I think I posted about it a long time ago.

Love,

T