Tuesday, June 02, 2009

Chesapeake Sailing Trip Day 9 - to Urbanna, Va

We're back online for now! I nabbed Sharon's camera - and I have her permission to use these photos!

Buddy relaxing in the evening....



We're relaxing too! Notice you may see a few more photos of me for a little while now that someone else besides me is taking some of the photos!


Discussing something about the sails, no doubt.


Navigating!


Isn't this a great photo of Sharon and Buddy?

On to Urbanna - there was a really tall bridge spanning the Rappahanock River - 110' clearance...since our mast height is only 65', we clear this one easily. So, we were having a nice sail and we decided that we could sail thru it instead of dropping the sails. Never have been able to do that before!


I know this is a strange photo - it's me lying on the deck, looking straight up as we sailed underneath the bridge. A very neat angle!


We had been sailing for hours - and we noticed this butterfly following us. We were sailing along at about 6 or 7 knots - and this little fellow flew all around us for several minutes. I had no idea they could fly that fast for so long. OK, we're easily amused!


We arrived to the very nice town of Urbanna - we knew where we were, but they were kind enough to label the entrance channel for us.


Some nice folks that were on the dock helped us settle into a slip for the evening.


We had a really yummy dinner at the marina restaurant - I shared soft-shell crabs with Sharon - the best I've ever had (no surprise, this is supposed to be the crab-capital!)

Just thought this was a pretty shot of the kayak-er's shot from the back of our boat.


Walked into town for a quick provisioning trip. Pretty, old houses. Everyone we met has been really friendly. (And this time, the lady gave us directions - said it was about a 1/2 mile - and she was correct, thank goodness!)



Just wandering around at the Town dock....

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

What Fun! I do love seeing all the photos of YOU - thanks Sharon! The under the bridge shot is neat - it looks like the sail is holding up the bridge...

Love,

T

Joyce Mineer said...

I'm having a lovely time - thank you!