Thursday, August 14, 2014

Making a small batch of apple jelly

Dick and Lindy gave me some apples yesterday and I had a hankerin' for some apple jelly.  I haven't made any in years.  These apples remind me of the tree at Mom's house in appearance, but they are much more tart.  Good for jelly!




Just chopped them up and set them to boil in a little water.  I just cut off any obvious bad spots - I don't take the core out - it will be removed later in the process and it's just extra work that doesn't need to be done!



After several minutes of boiling, the pot is just a "soup" of apple!



Next I put the apples thru my trusty food mill.



This is what's left - seeds, stems, peeling.



I do a two step process to collect my juice.  I put the applesauce-y mixture thru a wire strainer first just to take out the big particles.



Then I put it thru layers of cheesecloth as the final step.


I got a little over 4 cups of thick juice.


   All set up for the final steps - sterilized jars, lids, some pectin and 4+ cups of sugar.


Just boiled the juice with the sugar and pectin for a couple of minutes until the mixture "curdled" on the spoon just right.  Ladled it into the jars, put the sterilized lids on and tightened the bands.


Into a boiling bath for 5 minutes.



All done!  I think that's a lot of jelly for 4 cups of juice!


Up close - forgot to mention that I sprinkled some cinnamon in the mixture - I just like mine with a little spice.


Overnite - all the lids "popped" to verify a good seal.  Robert tested it on a peanut butter and jelly sandwich and declared it very good!  I took this jar to Dick and Lindy this morning as a thank you for the apples!


1 comment:

affectioknit said...

Looks sweet and yummy...those do look like Mom's apples...she's been trying to get me a tree from that tree for years...

Love,

T