Tuesday, November 18, 2008

New Self-Serve Avgas Pump Installation

This is probably a tedious post for most of you...but I'm rather proud of myself!

As most of you know, I have invested in "self-serve" pumps for avgas sales at both airports. The service plan for the unit at Siler City was being "discontinued" by vendor. That really just means that they are forcing you to buy their "upgrade".....$6000, THANK YOU VERY MUCH!!

When I had the original pump installed, I paid an electrician $1500 to come do the wiring and setup. The vendor assured me that I could do it myself in 2-3 hours. So yesterday was the big day. It was the best weather window for a while - about 55 degrees and not too windy.

Here's the new unit:


Here's the original unit - about 10 yrs old. It had given me a bit of trouble over the years, so I'm actually fairly happy to replace it (but not $6K happy).

First I had to remove and replace LOTS of wires.
I took an up-close photo that I referred back to time and time again to make sure I had the new wiring correct.

After much wire cutting, the old unit is off.


New wiring being installed.


New unit half-way installed.


New wiring almost done.

All done!! Check back in about 10 years, they'll probably force me to do this again!

3 comments:

affectioknit2 said...

I am SO IMPRESSED - it looks just lovely!

~ Denise ~ said...

Totally impressive, Karen! wowee...you go girl! ;)

Elizabeth said...

That was quite a job, but we know you were up to it. E