Thursday, September 24, 2009

Collards!

One of our "airport bums" who hangs out at the Asheboro airprot grows a big garden. He is very generous with his produce - and I often come home with a bag full. Today it was collards....


You have to be careful to get all the dirt and "critters" out (unless you want some extra protein added....)


Come people remove the stems, but I actually like them. I just chop the greens into bite size pieces.


Great big pan full....cooks down to about a quart!


I like mine spicey - I add these little bouillon cubes that I find in the Mexican food section. Seems to be about the right balance of salt and spice.



I ate the whole pan for lunch yesterday - perfect for the diet!!

2 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUMMY!!! I love me some collards - You know our grocery store stocks the frozen ones (just for us) and every once in a while I have a friend that can get them fresh in GF...

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

My Swiss Chard is dying down so those collards look especially nice. Does suit your "eating program". MOM