Wednesday, October 28, 2009

More Tie Dye.....

I know, you've got to think I'm a real dork. I know my kids do....

We've got our next out-of-the-country sailing trip coming up soon. OK, it's in 6 months, but I'm excited about it....the 4 couples (Sharon & Buddy, Pat & Diane, Dick & Lindy plus Duane & I) are going to the Leeward Islands in May 2010.

Since I did the tie dye shirts for our 2008 BVI Sailing Trip... I thought it would be cool to do it again this year. Here's the link to that tie dye experience, if you're interested Screen Print and Tie Dye T Shirts

This time, I decided that I could skip the screen print step. Diane found a good catamaran boat drawing - I cleaned it up and added the wording - uploaded it to a tee-shirt company - and viola' - we had custom tee shirts. If you ever need to do something similar - I've got to recommend Queensboro Shirt Company They will print your custom designed screen print for less than $10 per shirt - and you only have to order 4 shirts - not hundreds like some printers.

OK, enough of that.


We named the trip the Leeward Islands because we will be sailing to several of the Leeward Islands - hopefully St. Martin, Anguilla, St. Kitts, Nevis, and St. Barts. Winds and weather will dictate where we get to go....but that's 6 months away - we're concerned now with shirts!


Here's what the shirt looks like straight out of the box. Nice quality.





The process requires soaking the shirts in soda ash to make the dye adhere to the fabric. Soda ash is just "PH-UP" for pools. So, the shirts went in the cooler for the 1/2 hour soak.


All the fixin's - dye, squirt bottles, salt, warm water, shelves from my oven over the trash cans...



Sorry, Sharon - I was antsy to get these done, so we did yours for you. Hope you like them!!

Diane hard at work -


Ditto for Lindy - looks like hard labor, doesn't it?



Yep, we're all sweating this one.




The hardest part was waiting till the next day to "unveil" the artwork...



Rinse, rinse, rinse....



Rinsed again in the washer and all dry now.



Here's a close-up of Sharon's shirt.



The next day, here's Dick with a shirt when he and Lindy came to pick us up for the ham-biscuit adventure.

I'm looking forward to wearing these in the Tropics!!!

5 comments:

affectioknit said...

Definitely a whole lot of fun - are you wearing shorts???

Love,

T

Karen said...

haha - yes, this was saturday - it was near 80 degrees! it's a little chilly today - only 70....sorry....

stay warm up there! love, k

Just Marianne said...

Those are awesome! Who cares if our kids think we are DORKS?? They will be DORKS someday too! That's the funny part!

Hey T, I think you are Karen's sister, I sat on the beach today in my bathing suit and went for a quick dip! Emphasis on "quick!"

Sharon said...

Hey, the shirts are great. Looks like all of you had a great time playing with the tie dye. I like the colors and design that were chosen on my behalf! They will be fun to wear while we're on the cruise.

Miranda said...

The REALLY funny part is that Karen's kids already are dorks! =)