Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Veggies and Dehydrating!

I know this gets old...but I never tire of the beautiful colors of fresh veggies! Between Dick & Lindy, friends from work and my own measly garden - I always seem to have (almost) too much! You can't really tell in the photo, but the bottom left tomatoes are actually the low-acid yellow. Yum! Entirely different flavor.



Lindy has been giving me apples and peaches in abundance also - these I've been dehydrating. (Also been dehydrating tomatoes....)

This batch of apples got a sprinkling of cinnamon - very yummy!


I'd never tried dehydrating peaches, but Lindy did it yesterday and I tried a couple of pieces. WOW, extreme peach flavor. We were concerned that some of the things we read said you had to use "Fruit Fresh" or something like that to keep the peaches from turning brown. Lindy tried it without the additive with good results - so I came home from her house this evening with a bag of peaches bound for the dehydrator....


It is the last of this years crop, so there were bruises and such to remove.....



They have both a white and yellow peach tree. This is the start of the dehydrating process....


About 2 hours in - already looking a bit dried. I'll have to post the final results later!!!


3 comments:

affectioknit said...

YUM - we don't get a lot of peaches up here - and the ones we do get are not like the ones down south at all...I leave them on the counter to ripen - but they just turn to mush...maybe I'll try drying some...

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

Or maybe someone could send some southern peaches in dry form to ND. Dried fruits and veggies do have great flavor and a good way to use excess. You have nice neighbors and friends. MOM

Miranda said...

Oh my gosh! Those were dried peaches! I thought they were dried apples! I'll bet they are so extremely delicious! (Peaches are my favorite fruit!)