Friday, May 11, 2007

OK another long post....I'm having aball!

I went on a little shopping trip today. As you probably have figured out, I am fascinated by the differences in the products we use vs. what they use. Here are a couple of shots of their ENTIRE stock of sugar. It's in small bags - they apparently just don't use much of it.

And this is some hunks of sugar crystal. Different for sure.


Weird fruit - these are the size of a large cantelope. More weird spiney fruit.
They sell eggs already boiled. The eggs that look white in the photo actually have black specks on them.
More weird fruit.

An entire aisle devoted to Ramen noodles and their look-a-likes. By the way - the hotel puts Ramen noodles on the counter beside the coffee and tea (in case you get hungry, I suppose??)

There is evidence all around that the government is getting ready for the 2008 Olympics. They are tearing down whole neighborhoods and putting up new housing. This is an entire block that has been demolished - the pile at the street level is huge rebar (for the foundation of the new building, I suppose).
Here alot of Chinese workers are refurbishing a walkover bridge. They are hand-grinding the metal (I assume to repaint) You just weave your way past them - they fling sparks and "stuff" all over. Different than in U.S., for sure. I'm sure they're spewing lead paint all over. Oh well.


While shopping, naturally I had to use the facilities. Yesterday, I managed to find a real toilet in every venue....today, I was not so fortunate. If China expects to have a successful image in 2008, they are DEFINATELY going to have to fix this for us girls!! There's not even a hand-hold! Makes for strong thigh muscles (probably a sharing violation there somewhere!)




Bear with me - lots of photos of bikes now...




Bicycles are EVERYWHERE. All different kinds. I snapped these shots within just a minute or two on the street as I was walking. They carry everything you could think of -- and some things you wouldn't think of!!



I've zoomed in as far as the program will let me on this one...the tulips she is carrying were huge and beautiful.


Mostly, I just wandered around a huge shopping complex that is obviously not for foreigners....all this for under $4. The purple boxes are neat little playing cards. The cards are exactly like the ones we're used to except the jokers have Chinese characters. The other package is envelopes - in case I get a calm moment and want to write home. Thought of it because I passed a post office....

OK, so I forgot to pack toothpaste. The little travel kits they give you at the hotel have toothpaste, so we haven't been going without. So, I figured I'd just pick up some colgate....cost right at $1 US for a big tube. The box had a little "mint" emblem on it - so I figured it would be fine. Well, it's just weird!
I don't know what the flavor of this strange green Colgate is - but it ain't mint! I'm sure if I could read anything on the box, I'd be able to figure it out...

One last photo then I'll quit for now - have to show you lunch. I'm taking a rest now in the room so I brought it back with me. I had passed a very small restaurant last night that was grilling kabobs on an outside open charcoal grill. So today, I stopped in for lunch. I wanted to snap a photo of the guy cooking the kabobs but he would have none of it! The green beans are barely cooked in a great seasame oil - and the red peppers were a little warm!! (only ate them by mistake once!) The chicken was great - this time less than $2 total. Pretty neat.


Gotta run!

1 comment:

affectioknit2 said...

Wow - are your days and nights backwards?

I had to use toilets like that in France too - just at roadside rest stops 'though. Weird.

I love the cycle shots - we ride our bikes here a lot and I take an empty backpack to the grocery store to bring home what we buy - you have to shop light 'though.

The toothpaste is too funny - you'll have to ask your guide about it.

Love ya,

T