Tuesday, July 30, 2013

Fruit leather (home-made fruit roll-ups!)

I have been given too many peaches!!! What a great problem! I was contemplating freezing them or making some preserves....but then I got to thinking about fruit-roll ups. I have no idea why since I think it's been 10 years since any have graced my pantry. Turns out to be pretty easy. Just boil the peaches until they are mushy - run them thru a food mill to remove the skins and make a puree. I then added some sugar, ginger and cinnamon until I thought the "soup" tasted good.


It was a hot, sunny day - and I thought I could save some oven power by taking my concoction out to the grill and simply letting the closed lid heat up and dry the puree.  By the way, I just lined the large cookie sheet with Saran Wrap.  Apparently it can withstand less-than-boiling temps!




Actually, the grill idea would have worked - except the afternoon ended up stormy.....so inside the pan came and into a 170 degree oven.  (The recipe said 150 degrees, but that's the lowest setting on my oven.)  No worries - it worked out fine.

The recipe said 8 hours ---- it turned out to be about 11 hours....not sure I'll do this again unless I can truely use the "solar grill" - seems like too much energy!

Here's the end product...


Lifted out of the pan -


The leather lifts easily from the plastic.


Started cutting with the pizza cutter.  Ended up using scissors!


All bagged up ready for snacking!


2 comments:

affectioknit said...

WOW! Those look yummy! I've made them in the dehydrator before...but they didn't turn out as nice as yours...

Love,

T

Elizabeth said...

Looks great, hope they taste that good too. I have made strawberry roll-ups in the dehydrator and they were good but they do take a long time.MOM