Wednesday, July 24, 2013

More berfday fun - re-purposing fabric to make free-form beach bag

You may recall a certain dress that I made last year - that I thought looked horrible on me.....



I had cut the major pieces from the dress and stored them last year with the left-over scraps.

I just cut out a rectangle that looked like it would be the right size for the "base" of the bag.  Then I measured the perimeter of the rectangle to determine the size of the "body".  Here is the lining.  I was off by about 1/2 inch as I sewed it together.  No worries - snip, snip and it's perfect!



The finished outer shell - inside/out.

Coming together nicely!


I don't know what I did with the already-done sash from the dress - I must have tossed it in the trash....because it would have been helpful. No worries. I had plenty of fabric to make new "handles".




Ironed the seams to make them lay smoothly.


Turned right-side out and almost ready to assemble.



Decided at the last minute that a inside pocket might be nice - easy to assemble that with a couple of rectangular pieces.


Add some velcro - all I had was black....not my pick for this application, but it worked out fine.




Stitched the pocket just to the lining before assembly.


Attached the handles to the outer layer - ready to do "final assembly".



Ta-Da!


All done!



Ready for the berf-day girl!

3 comments:

Elizabeth said...

I'll bet the birthday girl will love that colorful bag.

affectioknit said...

It is so absolutely perfect...I love it a lot!

Thank you!

Love,

T

Joyful said...

I really love the bag. It is so pretty!